Day 14

Two weeks.  Most certainly, they haven't been the quickest two weeks of my life, but we're making progress.  I feel like I don't have a whole lot to report as each day feels like the last.  It's a lot like Groundhog Day around here.  Lots of challenges, balanced out by more blessings.  It's important to count both, and helps to keep me sane.

Health update:  my counts have bottomed out, and it looks like they're starting to turn the corner.  I've been to the lab every single day since transplant, and they're watching my numbers closely.  Fortunately, I haven't reached the thresholds where I would need blood or platelet transfusions, and it looks like I probably won't.  As my counts begin to rise again, we know that the new cells are engrafting, which means they are taking over and making new blood cells.  My immune system is fairly non-existent, and will continue to be compromised as I'm on several immunosuppressants for several months.  These meds keep my immune system from fighting off the new cells.  So far, everything is going smoothly and as expected.

My biggest challenge this week is that I'm experiencing debilitating headaches.  They started almost two weeks ago but have gotten worse over the past few days.  My team is concerned and a bit perplexed.  I had a brain MRI today to rule out brain inflammation, which apparently can be caused by one of my meds.  Fortunately, the scan came back normal, but we're still without answers.  They've adjusted dosages on my meds, so now I have to be patient and wait and see if there's any improvement.  The headaches aren't constant; they most often happen when I stand up, and result in an intense pressure in my head/neck.  They only last a few minutes, but they stop me in my tracks.  I'm trying not to be too cranky and tough them out, but I'm frustrated and a bit disappointed that there wasn't any resolution before the holiday weekend.

Fortunately, I've had a bit more energy this past week.  Each day is different, but we've been able to get out and about a bit.  It's such a treat to get out of the apartment and get some fresh air every day.  I've been able to see the kids a few times over the past week which definitely helps my mental state.  My parents took Olivia up to Victoria, B.C. for an early birthday trip, and they're having a fabulous time.  While they're gone, Philip got to go home to spend a few days with Will and Anna.  The kids are keeping him busy.  And I get to be babysat by one of my middle school/high school besties, Stephanie.  She came up on Wednesday and will head home tomorrow.  We've had a great time balancing our laziness with some fun outings for lunch and shopping.  We've watched many chick-flicks, and she's taking excellent care of me.  It's been a treat to get some girl time.

Steph and I in front of the American Girl store--we had to send this photo to our daughters so that we could all reminisce about our many shopping trips here when they were younger.
This weekend, we get to celebrate Olivia's birthday, and get together for the 4th of July.  We get to watch fireworks right outside our window over South Lake Union.  If the weather is nice, we can go up to the rooftop garden for a perfect view.  While we'll miss our usual 4th of July traditions, it'll be fun to be in the city and try something new.

We're hoping this next week will be uneventful, and that I'll get some headache relief.  All in all, things are going very well and I'm in pretty good shape for Day 14.  We will continue to take things one day at a time.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!