Gratitude

Thank you.  Two very small words that hardly begin to express the gratitude we feel as we look at the long list of names of friends, family, acquaintances, and even strangers, who have donated to our housing/medical fund.  First of all, we are so appreciative of our dear friends, Sheridan and Ray, for convincing us that setting up a fund was an acceptable solution, and then making that happen for us.  And then the response...absolutely overwhelming.  It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the help and support.  As difficult as it was to ask for help, it's such an incredible relief to know that we no longer have to stress about paying these housing bills.  As I sit here tonight, on the eve of my transplant, my list of worries is long--my kids (how much I miss them), worried about missing their last day of school tomorrow, worried about whether or not I'll be able to keep my meds down tonight (suffering mild nausea from chemo and my new immunosuppressants that I started on Tuesday), worried about having to endure full-body radiation tomorrow, worried about how my system will respond to my donor's cells, worried about how I'll get through these next 100 long days.  We have a full plate of worries, so to receive the gift of not having to worry about money right at this moment is an extraordinary blessing.  Thank you.

Tomorrow is the day.  It's strange, after talking about it for so long, and working through the long preparation process, that's it's finally the time.  I've survived the three days of conditioning chemo with few problems (a little fatigue and nausea).  Tomorrow morning, a 21 year-old woman will give up several hours of her day to go through the aphaeresis process, where they will remove her blood, sort out the stem cells, and replace the leftovers.  Those cells will be hand-carried on to a plane and will arrive in Seattle around 9:30pm.  The courier will then carry them to a cell lab at Fred Hutch, where they will be treated and prepared for infusion.  Meanwhile, at 8pm tomorrow night, I'll be admitted to the UW Medical Center and will be prepared to receive the cells.  At approximately 1:30am, the cells will arrive at the hospital and the transplant will begin.  The infusion lasts approximately two hours, and there's little fanfare.  It looks like a basic bag of blood that will be hooked up to my Hickman line.  Not very exciting, but at the same time, so very exciting.  These cells could have the power and strength to attack and kill the stubborn myeloma cells in my marrow.  These cells will completely change the make-up of my body.  I will inherit a brand-new immune system and blood type (after learning that my donor is 21, I joked that I'd also love to inherit her energy, metabolism, and collagen, too).  We hope that this simple infusion will extend my life by many, many years.  This is the beginning of a long road, but so worth every bump along the way.









7 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and your family!!! You will ROCK it!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you Karen & your whole family�� I'll continue praying for success and all the strength you'll need to get you through the next 100 days & beyond. Big hugs......

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for all the good to come! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending love and prayers... xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for you Karen, wondering how your day has been..
    Sue Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia. Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete