Day 37 - a big detour

It is very safe to say that life handed us a GIANT (and not in a good way) curve ball this week that we never expected to have to try to manage.  I will tell you, a cancer journey is not for the faint of heart.  You've always got to be ready for change--good, bad, and very ugly.  And we're being tested in a big way.

My  headaches continued last week, but they discharged me back to the apartment last Thursday with a regimen of pain pills that I was hoping would mitigate the discomfort.  The kids and my parents returned from Black Butte over the weekend, so we got to send some time on Sunday with them which did my heart a lot of good.  And, on Monday night, my bestie from college, Trea, flew in to take over babysitting duties for the week.  I'm so lucky to have so many incredible friends willing to come and watch over me!!!  However, I woke up on Tuesday with a splitting headache and unfocused vision.  So once again, we called triage at SCCA and were told to come in.  Long story (day) short, by that evening, the headache was so bad I couldn't stand or walk because of the pain so they transported me to UW via ambulance (thank goodness Trea got to share that scary ride with me--Philip followed in his car).  Back to the transplant floor.  Fortunately, we've gotten familiar with many of the nurses and medical assistants on the floor, so we're quite comfortable here now.  On Wednesday and Thursday, I had MRIs, a CT scan, a chest x-ray, two lumbar punctures and probably some other procedures that I can't remember.  We've met with many teams--transplant, neuro-oncology, neurosurgery.  Once again, I'm so grateful that Trea was here as she was able to help us keep it all straight and take notes.  Too much information at an emotional time is extremely difficult to digest.

Bottom-line--cancer cells showed up in my spinal fluid which means they've traveled to my brain.    This isn't news we wanted to hear.  It creates a whole other challenge  when attempting to treat these particular cells.  The MRI shows that there isn't a mass or collection of cells, which is good.  Rather, they're circulating in my spinal fluid.  I already started chemo--during the second lumbar puncture on Thursday, they injected a dose of chemo into my spinal fluid so those cells are officially under attack.  And this evening, I underwent brain surgery to implant an Ommaya Reservoir in my brain, which is essentially a port placed under the skin on my head with a catheter that is threaded through a small hole that they drilled in my skull and leads to a ventricle about one-inch deep into my brain.  It will facilitate the chemo process--they'll just be able to use the port in my head, and it will be much less invasive than having do a lumbar puncture each time.  Seriously, I'm writing this just a few hours after brain surgery, so who knows what I may start rambling about.  Also, this surgery required them to shave a "small" section of hair on the side of my head that is currently bandaged.  If you hear screams coming from Seattle, you'll know that bandages have been removed, and I've seen the hair challenges that I have to deal with on top of everything else.

So, suffice it to say that this transplant didn't give us the results we were so hoping to see.  I can't say I'm shocked, but I certainly didn't expect to go backwards so quickly.  My bone marrow biopsy from last week did show cancer cells (not a surprise now), but it showed a chimerism of 100% which means that my immune system and blood system is now 100% donor.  I'm fully engrafted, but unfortunately, my donor's cells were no match for my nasty myeloma cells.

The emotional toll this has taken is immense.  This jump to my central nervous system and brain have, without a doubt, negatively impacted my prognosis.  This is not something I will beat.  We will hopefully get some more temporary victories, but this myeloma is tenacious.  It's on a  mission.  But so are we.  I just don't think we can win this fight, unfortunately.  And wouldn't you know it--only 1% of myeloma cases have cells that travel to the central nervous system.  What??  I'm another anomaly.  So we not only have to ask why did I get this disease, but why did it come with so many "improbable" characteristics that are going to make it impossible to beat?  What do we do now?  We attack.  We've started my brain chemo, which is a different protocol than we use for my systematic myeloma. I will resume the chemo protocol I used just before transplant since that was very effective.  We will use every chemo drug we can get our hands on that may buy me some time.  We'll talk to my oncologist, Dr. Libby, about revisiting potential T-cell immunotherapy studies that I may now be a candidate for.  I'm still in fight mode, but I also have to be realistic.  That's a very fine line.  Every time I start to feel hopeless, I get a call from Anna begging me to let her get a kitten from her friend's new litter (that's not happening), or Olivia calls me and wants to play her new piano masterpiece for me over the phone, or Will sends me a picture of his new football cleats and tells me how excited he is to start his new season next week.  I have football games and piano concerts to attend (and kittens to avoid!).  I have more life to live.  I need to be here as long as I can, which will never be long enough, and now looks frighteningly short.  Philip and I have shared many tears this weeks, we've had discussions that you never want to have (cancer forces that upon you), and have wondered why our life has been attacked by this vicious disease.  But we've also worked hard to find the joy.  It's always there.  The support is overwhelming--my girlfriends are incredible (Trea was with us through all of the hard this week and was a huge blessing to both Philip and me), my parent have kept the kids happy as can be, my husband is by my side constantly, anticipating what I need before I have to ask.  But we find that joy mostly in the form of our babies' sweet smiles, funny dispositions, and simply the sheer love they bring us.  They will help guide us as we navigate these very unchartered and undesirable waters that are ahead.  I thank God for them every single day.


6 comments:

  1. I am in awe of you and your family's focus on JOY. Wishing all of you the very best moments for each day. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, your post brings me to tears and makes me wish I could stand in front of you to battle this for you to give you that time with your babies! I know we have a mighty God who lives outside of time and space and this side of heaven we will never understand the whys. I just know that I intercede for you daily and I pray for more joy and for healing and comfort for you and your family! I know we have never been close, but through following your journey I feel like I know you better than when we were on cheer together! You are a beautiful, kindhearted and generous spirit and the many people surrounding you and spending time with you only go to show that you are a woman of strong character and loyalty and courage!! You are someone that draws people to you and you are making a difference in every life you touch! You have touched mine, just by being so transparent and I want to thank you for that! I won't stop praying for you! God won't stop taking care of you and I know His ways are not our ways! Recently a friend's father and brother were in a horrible near fatal car accident - they should have not survived- and 9 weeks later they are making amazing gains although their work is far from over. Their sweet daughter always posts a bible verse at the end of her updates and I wanted to share this most recent one with you.
    Lamentations 3: 21-24
    Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!

    I pray new mercies for you each day and that as long as their is a flicker of hope I trust it will fan into a thriving flame! Keep heart Karen! Thank you for sharing and know that you are covered in prayer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, your perseverance and passion for life, the cherish for moments are an inspiration. I'm so sorry for this set back. I have full faith you will beat this!! Hugs and wishes for peace in these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, your perseverance and passion for life, the cherish for moments are an inspiration. I'm so sorry for this set back. I have full faith you will beat this!! Hugs and wishes for peace in these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, just know that all of us are praying non stop and sending all the most positive thoughts your way. You are such an inspiration and we can all learn much about life from your heartfelt writings. You continue to amaze us with your grace, courage, and strength. If anyone can beat this, it will be you. Your determination to fight with everything you have for your sweet children gives new meaning to the word love. You have an army behind you fighting with everything we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, please know that my heart was hurting and the tears were flowing as I read the latest turn of events. I know why you've been going through all you've done the past 18 months and why this latest news will have hit you so hard; your babies. You are living every mother's nightmare of, "What will my children do without me?" I do hope your health improves and you become stable enough to enjoy the time you have left to enjoy your babies. Although you may not have the time you would like, at least you have now. Any memories you make now will be the most precious. All the best to you, Phillip and your three precious children.

    ReplyDelete