The desert.

When I was 12 years old, my family decided to head down to Palm Springs over our spring break to visit my grandparents who were "wintering" there.  Little did we know, we were starting a life-long family tradition that is still going strong.  We continued to fly down to the desert every March to spend time with my grandparents, and when they aged and were unable to travel down there, my parents started spending a couple of months there every year.  So, our spring breaks in Palm Springs continued.  In the past 33 years, we've only missed two of our annual trips:  one year, when I was in my early 20s, we opted for Hawaii instead (a true sacrifice), and last year, I was in the beginning stages of my illness/diagnosis and was unable to travel (the kids went down with my parents).  So I've spent 31 spring breaks in the quiet, sleepy desert town of Palm Springs.

The trips have evolved over the years.  At first, my brother and I were kids and spent countless hours in the pool playing Marco Polo.  During my middle school years, we watched as Palm Springs became THE PLACE for college spring breaks in California.  The town was filled with kids, riot police were on every corner, and they all provided great people-watching opportunities.  As we got older, we brought friends into the mix.  My senior year of high school, I flew down with three of my best friends and we got to stay in a hotel and do our own thing (my parents were only five minutes away and for some reason, trusted us to make good decisions).  Eventually, there were a few boyfriends who made the cut and joined our family vacations over the years (until I met the right one, and he still gets to come with us).

We were in Palm Springs 23 years ago when we got the 2am call that they had procured a liver for my dad, who had been on the transplant waiting list for nine months.  We quickly packed, headed to the airport, jumped on a private plane sent by a friend, and went straight to OHSU where he underwent a life-saving surgery.  That particular vacation was cut very short, but for a very good reason.  And it's a day we continue to celebrate every year.

Now, we get to take our kids to the desert every year.  And they count the days/minutes/seconds until we board that plane.  We get to do the same things my brother and I grew up doing.  Swimming (lots!), walking up and down Palm Canyon Drive, visiting our favorite restaurants and shops each year, lots of golf (real and mini), the occasional trip on the Palm Springs Tram.  Flying into Palm Springs feels like we're coming home.  Everything is so familiar and comfortable, and it's a place that's filled with so many cherished memories.

Olivia's first trip - March 2004.

First trip with two kids--Olivia and Will in 2006.

March 2007.

Three kids (one silly, one mad, and one cranky--quite the crew)! March 2009.

March 2011.

High Desert Museum - March 2012.

A fro-yo stop - March 2014.

Today we get to hop on a plane and begin our vacation with Nana and Poppi.  I am beyond grateful that my health is stable and that I'm allowed to have this week with my family.  I don't take that for granted.  We have many more memories to make, and we're all ready to get started.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!