Vacation Recap

Spring Break 2016 is in the books, and it was one to remember.  I honestly feel that this Palm Springs vacation was our best one yet.  Maybe it's because I wasn't able to travel last year, so I had a greater appreciation this year.  Or maybe it's because traveling with our kids has gotten so much easier over the years.  After spending many vacations standing in the pool catching jumping kids, carrying them in and out of the pool, dealing with floaties and rings, it's a whole new world now that we have three kids who are strong swimmers and can take care of themselves in the water.  Or maybe it's just that I felt more "in the moment" this year, and tried to enjoy and absorb every minute of this treasured family time that I could.  I have to admit, as much as I try to fight the "bad thoughts", they still managed to crawl into my brain every so often.  Will I be healthy enough to travel next April?  Will I even be here next April?  Is this the last time I'll be able to share this tradition with my kids?  While I can't always control these thoughts, I'm smart enough to know to shut them down quickly.  I don't have the answers to these questions, but I know that there's nothing to gain by worrying about them.  My goal these days is to stay in the moment, and to not look too far forward.  Easier said than done, at times, but very important to remember.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week with my parents.  The kids swam daily--Anna became a professional mermaid with her new tail that my parents got for her.  Lots of football-catching, cannon-balls, a little Marco Polo (until the adults shut it down due to the annoyance factor), night swims, and hot-tubbing.  Poppi spent some time in the pool with the kids which is always a favorite.

At the airport, ready for vacation to begin!
Our little mermaid.
Poppi and his kids.
We hit up our usual spots.  On Sunday morning, we headed to the College of the Desert street fair to wander the shops.  I like to go check out the jewelry, sunglasses and kitchen gadgets.  The kids like to go for one reason, and one reason only--the freshly-made donuts with maple glaze and cinnamon sugar.


Donuts!
We made the tour of our favorite restaurants--Ruby's Diner, Las Casuelas Mexican restaurant, and our annual pilgrimage to In 'N Out.  Philip and I managed to squeeze in a date night and had an amazing dinner at the Ritz-Carlton.

Dinner at the Fish Market & Grill.
Mexican food (and margaritas) tradition at Las Casuelas.
Our annual In 'n Out fix--when will they open in Seattle?????
The kids' favorite--burgers at Ruby's, and our annual photo with Sonny Bono.
We spent one day at the Wet & Wild water park.  William went down just about every slide there was--even the huge 7-story vertical slide.  No thank you.  He survived to tell the tale, so all was good.

Water park!
On our last day, we went on a little hike in Indian Canyon.  Beautiful desert views, some small falls to explore, and groves of palm trees.

Walking to Starbucks for some pre-hike sustenance.
The falls at Indian Canyon.

Philip and I took Olivia out for a "drink" at one of the hot-spots in town one evening.  She was very amused when the waiter brought her a real margarita rather than a non-alcoholic one.  She's 12.  I know she looks older than her age, but really??


Olivia and her non-alcoholic cocktail.
But then I saw this photo and realized that she does look all grown up!  Where did my baby go???
Having fun on Palm Canyon Drive.
Mom and I escaped one afternoon for lunch and shopping.
Early morning flight back home.  Farewell, Palm Springs.
It was a fabulous week, and many memories were made.  The kids are very sad that they have to wait 365 days until they can return.  And I am, too.  But we're back to reality and looking forward to fun times ahead.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!